Ask for References
To protect yourself, always check the contractor’s references. This is an essential stage of qualifying the right person for your project. Here are just a few questions to ask previous customers:
- Could they communicate well with the remodeler?
- Were they pleased with the quality of work? (This is a tough question, however, since everyone defines “quality” differently. It is much better to ask to see the completed project to determine the level of quality for yourself.)
- Were they satisfied with the remodeler’s business practices?
- Did the crew show up on time?
- Were they comfortable with the trades people the remodeler subcontracted to?
- Was the job completed on schedule?
- Did the remodeler fulfill his or her contract?
- Did the contractor stay in touch throughout the project?
- Were the final details finished in a timely manner?
- Would you use the remodeler again without hesitation?
- Was the job site kept clean during the project?
- Was the remodeler professional, ethical, honest and fair throughout the process?
- Did the remodeler manage the overall project and process in such a way to ensure your satisfaction?
- Did any issues arise during the project? How did the remodeler handle them?